Company overview lonely planet publications pty ltd, a travel media company, publishes and distributes travel guidebooks and ebooks for customers worldwide. T ony and maureen wheeler co-founded lonely planet in 1973 after the couple travelled overland from london to australia the travel publisher, which has since printed more than 120 million books in 11 languages, sold a 75% stake in the business to bbc worldwide in 2007 the wheelers sold their remaining 25% stake in the company four years later. Lonely planet is a large travel guide book publisher the lonely planet books were the third series of travel books aimed at backpackers and other low-cost travellers, after the let's go travel guide series that was founded in 1960, and the bit guides from 1970 as of 2011, the company had sold 120 million books since inception and by early 2014, it had sold around 11 million units of its.
Check out business analyst profiles at lonely planet, job listings & salaries review & learn skills to be a business analyst. In 2011, bbc worldwide went on to become sole shareholder of the company today, lonely planet has offices in melbourne, london & oakland, with over 450 employees & over 200 authors in 2012, lonely planet also set up its first office in gurgaon, india, publishing guidebooks for indian travellers.
Lonely planet was a great place to work with fun people the work environment was relaxed, but still pushed people to be productive, and get things done benefit package was excellent as well. He restructured the company, expanded its digital presence, grew the print side of the business and established headquarters for lonely planet in franklin, tennessee.
The travel publishing business is mature and not growing lonely planet wants to innovate a change but the digital business is run like it's stuck in the 1990s so it suffers from a constantly revolving inventory of new managers who quit or are fired in frustration. Lonely planet by steven dietz directed by jonathan silverstein starring: arnie burton and matt mcgrath october 3 – november 18 2017 a story of friendship in a time of crisis set in a small map store on the oldest street in an american city, lonely planet is an intimate portrait of two friends at the height of the hiv/aids epidemic.
The rest of lonely planet’s leadership team remains in place and will be continuing with business as usual” the company would not comment on questions related to its sale, or a successor to. Lonely planet has the characteristics of strong cultures, such as performance oriented, emphasise teamwork, allow for risk taking, encourage innovation and make the well-being of people a top management priority lonely planet has 400 employees in offices in 4 countries: melbourne, london, paris, and oakland, california. As per other reviews, lonely planet needs to replace senior leadership to fix the persistent issues, and enable proper management of the business overall if interviewing with lonely planet today, my first question would be about the state of the current management structure. Update your current business listing or suggest your business for listing in lonely planet this is where you can suggest your business for a listing in lonely planet or update your existing business details.
The ceo of lonely planet, the esteemed travel-guide company headquartered in franklin, has stepped down — and one industry outlet says the franklin billionaire who owns the company is looking to. Houghton was an unknown 24-year-old when he was named ceo of lonely planet in 2013 he restructured the company, expanded its digital presence, grew the print side of the business and established headquarters for lonely planet in franklin, tennessee.